At Shriners Hospitals for Children, the health and safety of our patients, families, volunteers and staff is our top priority. With the rapidly evolving situation regarding coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19), we are closely monitoring updates and alerts from local health departments and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), and are actively following their recommendations.

Please note that Shriners Hospitals for Children does not administer COVID-19 testing or treatment at this time. If your child has an upcoming appointment and you or your child are exhibiting a cough, fever, chills, shortness of breath or flu like symptoms, please contact your local Shriners Hospitals for Children location to reschedule the appointment.

What to expect at Shriners Hospitals for Children — Salt Lake City.

For the latest updates about COVID-19, please visit the CDC website.

Skip to navigation

Surgical services

Surgical services

Shriners Hospitals for Children — Salt Lake City has internationally renowned board-certified pediatric orthopaedic surgeons on staff providing surgical care to children with simple and complex orthopaedic needs. Our surgeons work closely with anesthesiologists, registered nurses, certified scrub technicians and supporting staff, for optimal outcomes for each surgery. Our highly skilled and qualified operating room (OR) team holds advanced certifications such as CNOR (the documented validation of the professional achievement of identified standards of practice by an individual registered nurse providing care for patients before, during and after surgery) and CAPA (certified ambulatory perianesthesia). Staff are also active members of AORN (Association of periOperative Registered Nurses).

Our nursing staff is very experienced and knowledgeable with a cumulative 300 years of experience. With excellent nurse-physician rapport, our staff not only functions well as a team, but also participates in the education of orthopaedic surgeons and student nurses from the University of Utah. Our residents and nursing students primarily come from the University of Utah; however, we work with several different programs.

Our highly skilled registered nurses and certified nurse aides in our post-anesthesia care unit (PACU) manage all of our outpatient surgeries, which comprise about 80 percent of all surgeries coming through the OR. They see everything from start to finish – from admitting and recovering to discharge. In addition, this team transitions the other 20 percent of surgeries to the inpatient nursing unit.

Dedicated to quality care and patient safety, our surgeons manage more than 1,200 cases a year using the latest technology, innovative techniques and tools to achieve great outcomes.